The International Children’s Emergency Fund was formed by the United Nations Relief Rehabilitation Administration to offer support to the children affected by the World War II and later, the General Assembly passed a resolution to establish UNICEF. In order to protect the interests of children, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) was established and it was created by the United Nations General Assembly on December 11, 1946. Earlier it was called the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund.The main objective of creating it was to offer food and healthcare in an emergency situation to children and mothers in the countries devastated by the World War II.
UNICEF IEC Materials, e Warehouse
E Warehouse is an easy-to-use digital repository of digital information, education and communications (IEC) materials developed or produced by UNICEF India.Information, Education, and Communication (IEC) materials are used to convey public health information to support overall behavior change strategies developed in response to public health issues. It is important to remember that most IEC materials by themselves are not enough to change behavior. Materials should be incorporated into one or more activities in a way that forms a package of behavior changes. Packages should complement each other to resolve many behavioral obstacles in goal setting. Multiple communication channels should be used, including some for dialogue with community members.
Information, Education and Communication materials: A list
Information, Education and Communication materials include a range of products like:
- social media posts
- television adverts
- audio spots for radio
- billboards or murals
Things to be taken under consideration while designing IEC materials
- Design a planned global response plan and made the overall strategy for social and behavioral changes to the needs of the specific audience you want to achieve. Conduct a FA to understand the determinants of preventive behavior in the target audience and identify potential knowledge gaps. The knowledge of formative research is used to design independent IEC materials, but will support specific activities in the overall behavior change strategy.
- Consider the appearance of posters or artwork if you have difficulty reading text. It is important to remember not only illiterate adults, but also children or visually impaired people. Take the time to understand the illiteracy rate in your nation and consider how images can convey objective information. A simple method can represent the course of action, or use simple tick and cross to compare “correct” behavior and “wrong” behavior.
- It is very important to share information about important behaviors to prevent Corona Virus and remove the myths about Corona Virus but knowledge alone cannot change behavior and for behavior change procedures, this is a common challenge: people know what to do, but they rarely put it into practice. In order to change behavior, it helps people’s thoughts and concepts to play.
- If you want people to keep the IEC material or put it on the wall, create attractive and interesting materials.
- The scale of the Corona Virus pandemic means that a large number of IEC materials are now available worldwide.
- In most cases, posters, billboards, or announcements alone are not sufficient to convey the complexity of Corona Virus, and various stages of release may require further correction of evidence and addition of content. It is generally recommended that posters and signs indicate specific actions. Because people can only see it for a short time. Banners and brochures show more complex behavior. Because there is enough space to break it into small steps.
- Including sources behind epidemiological information in IEC can increase reliability. UN agencies, trusted government agencies, existing NGOs, scientific or social leaders are often considered reliable sources (but ask their residents). Consider also information that may contain other valid information.
Different options for distribution of IEC
Currently, various countries are facing mutations of the Corona Virus pandemic and the feasibility, safety and acceptance of the various IEC implementation mechanisms will depend on them. Regular sharing of IEC materials across various distribution channels increases public awareness and trust in shared information. Below are the Different options for distribution of IEC:
Posters and brochures are distributed at the door- If you have a large number of distribution targets, you may need to reach out to your audience’s family. This method is also useful if you want to receive specific messages for a specific group of people, such as advice for seniors at high risk for severe Corona Virus. When shipping IEC materials home, it is important to maintain physical isolation and reduce the risk of contamination of prints. Don’t go to people’s homes, take the time to explain what to do and what to do with the information provided (e.g. hanging on the wall).
Use of billboards, posters or large TV screens in public areas-In public places, bulletin boards, posters, or large TV screens are used to identify places people visit most often. These include markets, bus stops, transit centers, medical centers, schools, sports facilities, religious places, or other important community services. You should choose an IEC materials delivery site based on your target audience and it is also possible to design IEC materials depending on the location.
Offline postal mail- You can mail IEC materials. There are several departments or “post offices” that can handle courier shipments of large volumes of IEC materials.
Via Online- IEC materials can be shared across multiple channels on the Internet. For example, you can share it as an image or video on social media, post it on a website or upload it to a clearinghouse. Sharing IEC materials on social media platforms creates ongoing discussions with your target audience, but you don’t always have control over how images are shared and interpreted.
Huge Audience- IEC material can also be shared as material for TV and radio programs, or published in newspapers and magazines. If you decide to share information in this way, take the time to find out how much it costs to place an advertisement or advertisement on the radio or television. Also, think about the channels and shows your viewers will watch most often. In this way, you can ensure that your posts reach the maximum share of your target audience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the work of UNICEF?
It is an organization that serves the food, education and health needs of children around the world. It was at the time of the Second World War when there was a lot of destruction in the world and many people lost their lives. As children have many problems, UNICEF was established to eliminate these problems. It has a working group responsible for its functions and agrees to implement the ongoing plan.
How UNICEF works in other countries?
The UNICEF office located in each country accomplishes its mission through a unique program by collaborating with the host government. This program focuses on practical ways to realize the rights of children and women. The regional offices guide this task and provide technical support to the national offices as required. The overall management and administration of the organization takes place at Headquarters, where a global policy on children is formulated.
Since When UNICEF working in India?
UNICEF started functioning in India from 1949 and a few years later in 1953, UNICEF was made a permanent part of the United Nations. UNICEF has also received the Nobel Prize in the field of peace in 1965 and India too awarded the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize in 1989 to UNICEF.